Associate Priest/Rector Position
Christ Church of the Ascension is set in one of the most beautiful spots of the Valley. With views of Camelback Mountain to the East and the Phoenix Mountain range to the North.
Our Sunday average for all three services is 225. On high holy days we swell to fit 400 into the sanctuary. We are a traditional worship parish with broad church liturgy, Rite I and Rite II, with formation and service being important components to our life together.
We serve a variety of members - with young families to retired but active and engaged individuals and couples. We have an active Family Ministries program, choir, and pastoral care and service groups.
An important Mission of the church is Christ Church School. CCS serves approximately 140 families, some of which are members of our parish. We continue to work toward a more collaborative, positive relationship between church and school.
Currently there is a Rector, Administrative Assistant, Family Minister, Sexton, Choir Director, Finance and part-time Secretary. Lay leaders and volunteers. We are in need of an associate priest to join us in both administrative and pastoral work.
- What are the duties?
- Assisting the Rector in religious services and daily operations of Christ Church.
- Responsible for sharing in liturgical planning, preaching and presiding at our many and varied worship services.
- Working collaboratively with volunteers and staff.
- Sharing with other clergy and lay ministers in pastoral care, including being on call for pastoral emergencies and hospital visits.
- Developing and leading a newcomers program.
- Leading confirmation classes and Bible studies.
- Attending meetings.
- Help in assisting in collaborative connections with Christ Church School.
- Masters of Divinity and ordination.
- Strong liturgical leadership and preaching that is alive and prayerful.
- Someone with a strong personal faith, excited by the Episcopal tradition.
- A commitment to the Daily Office and regular spiritual direction and care.
- An organized team builder, collaborator, consultative and flexible.
- We expect a two-year commitment.
This position is full-time; compensation and benefits will be in accordance with the guidelines of the Episcopal Church and the Diocese of Arizona. We are making a two-year commitment for this position. There is an employee review semi-annually.
We offer health benefits and retirement with the Church Pension Fund. We offer four weeks of vacation after the first year. You will have one week a year for continuing education and an allowance to go with it. Housing is not included, but you can elect to allocate a portion of your compensation as non-taxable housing allowance.
We will support you with our prayers, our friendship and our commitment to your success in ministry with us. We will support you in finding opportunities for your own self-care and spiritual growth, and we will support you should you seek new opportunities for ministry beyond your time with us.
How to apply:
Please submit all documents in PDF file format, if possible:
- Cover letter
- OTM profile (send in .pdf format)
- Spiritual autobiography (three pages maximum)
- Three sermons (text if possible, and preferably with links to audio or visual presentations)
- Written answers to three questions below:
- What is your passion in life, faith, and ministry?
- How would you approach this position as we have described it, including what you would find most challenging?
- What does a mature Christian faith look like and how does the local church help to develop it?
Part Time Sexton
Christ Church of the Ascension has a job opening for a part-time sexton. The position is 14 hours per week and requires open availability primarily in the mornings on Friday, Sunday, and Monday. Occasionally, additional time may be needed for special events. The work mainly involves setting up rooms, general maintenance, and cleaning.